Yoga123 is a 12-week interactive health and wellness program dedicated to improving the lives of at-risk children through the practice of yoga and the teachings of breathing, physical exercise, emotional strength and mental sharpness. It is taught during class-time or as an after-school program and aligns with the California State Board of Education Standards for Physical Education.
Through Yoga123 children can:
- Adopt effective methods of dealing with stress and negative situations by learning proper breathing and anger management techniques.
- Increase physical awareness and abilities through developing flexibility, balance, coordination, strength, and cardio-fitness by practicing yoga.
- Raise self-esteem and improve attitude by adopting values of giving, non-competition, love, acceptance, experiencing physical progress and learning to control attitude.
- Enhance respect for others by practicing personal space, and learning values of respect and caring.
- Develop focus (and refocusing) strategies through centering poses and breathing. Increase student academic focus and mental sharpness through stretching and moving their bodies to increase blood flow and oxygen level.